Re: [IP] Re: Lost 35 Pounds (Was: Maude report)

    I used to like eating just once per day. When I was on two daily shots
of a mix of Humulin R & NPH I was always chasing insulin with food. I had to
eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.
    That all changed with a month of MDI then the pump. I now only eat
dinner. I had major highs and lows before because of eating lunch mostly. If
I didn't eat it I went low, if I did eat it I went high no matter what.
    I eat a big dinner which is around 220 carbs maximum. I only go high if
it is a new food I haven't tried on the pump yet, if I eat too much
heavy/bulky foods, don't drink enough liquids with the meal, or if I make a
miscalculation by implicitly trusting the labels.
    Tonight I am at 329 because of trusting a labeled carb count on a box
which may be correct by average testing but doesn't work right as far as
insulin to carb ratio when I eat it. I can't quite figure it out yet because
it doesn't seem to matter whether the food is high or low fat or high or low
protein.
    Anyway, the pounds started to drop because I am getting back into an
eating pattern which is natural for me. My CDE even agreed with me after
some serious testing. It became very apparent when I started testing basals.
I skipped breakfast and lunch to test the daytime basals because it was easy
for me because that is what I want to do. Then she asked me to skip
breakfast but eat lunch. Then I went high everyday. Now that I am eating
only dinner my control is great. Except for tonight.
    Oh well, it was a new food and I should have went with my instincts
instead of the label. Of course, as always, Your Mileage May Vary.

Cody S. Alderson