[IP] Re: Pump Problem

In a message dated 12/12/02 10:58:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> have a rep coming out tomorrow,  but have a question I thought I'd
> ask you all till then.     Have you ever heard of a pump that did Boluses
> okay,  but wasn't putting out basils correctly?

Hi Barbara,
     Zach uses the Quick-sets, I think.  Claire uses the Quick-sets and we
get that kind of problem.  It seems that the boluses work just fine, but the
basal insulin is not getting in.  The problem was much worse with Humalog,
and only happens rarely nowadays for her using Novolog.  But it did occur
last week, after having great bgs for about 3 weeks in a row and actually
having to lower basal rates.    Often just changing the site solves the
problem.  Last week it occurred for 2 sites in a row, so I thought that
perhaps she had an infection, but then the next site (which needs to be
changed in the next hour) led to fantastic bgs once again.
     Also, last summer we had what I think had to be a bad box of Quick-sets
that led to erratic bgs, and ended with DKA.  Problem was solved with a new
box from a new order, but of course its hard to know for certain what the
cause was.
     Try a set from a different lot number and try a really fresh looking
site, to see if that will help.  Good luck, and how is the cannula in the
thigh?  Is it still in there?  Poor Zach.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8