Re: [IP] Re: Maude report

Perhaps you should ask why... People get up in the middle of the
night to check their kids because they have learned that lows in the
night are dangerous and preventable. What is interesting is that the
incidence of lows, their depth and duration are all less severe than
on MDI (many published studies show this). The conclusion I draw from
this is that pump parents are better educated about diabetes and the
possible risks and complications, thus they check their kids in the
night to prevent these things from happening. I did it for years
until my daughter left for college. These lows are generally brought
on by the variable lifestyle that kids lead. High energy exercise one
day, couch potato the next. That sort of change in activity plays
havoc with control. There have been many nights when I've
"intercepted" a low at 50, 40, 30 and lower before anything bad
happened. There have been a couple of times, one in particular, when
I've discovered her unconcious and in convulsions. Scary.... to say
the least. However, I have to say that in all the time she has used a
pump, she's never required medical intervention or a trip to the ER.
That's pretty remarkable for 8 years. I don't think it would have
been that good on MDI.