Re: [IP] Re: Maude report

On 12/11/02 9:58 PM, "email @ redacted" <email @ redacted> wrote:

>> it scares me to think that so many times the pump has given a higher basal
>> amount or in some cases dumped insulin into the person's body.
>>>   Has this happened to anyone on the list.  I'm not sure about allowing
>>> my 16 year old to go on a pump after reading these possiblities.  It also
>>> seems that with the pump, so many parents are getting up in the middle of
>>> the night to check their child's blood sugars.  I do not have to do that
> This has actually happened to someone on the list and she is lucky to have
> survived.

Though the situation may have been VERY serious, I wouldn't necessarily say
that they were anymore life-threatening than many experiences with a
syringe.   I am reminded of Lily's story as recounted by Michael in Nov. 99

"When she was twelve, we were camping on the American River. About
dusk, Lily gave her little brother a piggy back ride and he managed
to pop open the door to her pump with is shoe, partially flip out
the syringe and push in 90 units of Humalog. Lily came back to camp
and we spent the night eating and taking glucose. I don't remember
the amount of glucose, but lots + a lot of food as well. Basically in
addition to several hundred grams of food carb, she ate enough
glucose to move her bg's to 150 from whatever they were at each
measure ( usually 40 - 50 ) and she checked every 20 minutes for
about 5 hours. Yes.... Humalog lasts 5 hours. Take a look at the
activity curve and you will see that the tail is long, just not big.
However when you take a LOT, it takes a long time to absorb. Anyway,
by 3 - 4 in the morning all was well and we finally got some sleep. I
chatted with her doc after the incident and he assured me that oral
glucose was the fastest and easiest way to counteract this kind of
problem. Fortunately, we happened to have plenty of food and 4 or 5 -
50 tab jugs of glucose with us. As I recall, the efficacy of the
insulin in that massive dose was about 50% of what was given and the
rate of drop of her bg's was about 400 points an hour (if there had
been no glucose or food). My suggestion under similar circumstance
would be to very aggressively eat glucose, probably more than Lily
did in retrospect, perhaps targeting a bg of 200. Be calm and have a
sandwich and a "real" soda + a few hundred grams (carb count) of your
favorite goodies."

Thanks for sharing that Michael and I hope you don't mind my re-posting!

George    :>)