[IP] Re: Maude report

In a message dated 12/11/2002 11:17:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> it scares me to think that so many times the pump has given a
> >higher basal amount or in some cases dumped insulin into the person's
> body.
> >
> >   Has this happened to anyone on the list.  I'm not sure about allowing
> >my 16 year old to go on a pump after reading these possiblities.  It also
> >seems that with the pump, so many parents are getting up in the middle of
> >the night to check their child's blood sugars.  I do not have to do that

This has actually happened to someone on the list and she is lucky to have
survived.  I am sure that she is prevented from talking about it, due to the
lawyers.  However, even after reading about her experience with the H-tron, I
 bought one for my six year old daughter.  I believe that the pump has
allowed my daughter to have the chance of a life past the age of 25, which
might not have happened with injections as she had no control whatsoever with
injections, severe lipohypertrophy everywhere and felt completely sick and
miserable all the time.  I am less worried about a huge dump of insulin from
the pump, though I realize that it is a possibility, than I am about her
being snatched off the street by a stranger in a car.  Now this is on my mind
because I have just been watching and wondering why a truck is parked in
front of our house for no obvious reason.

Parents who check bgs in the middle of the night likely did so when their
children were on injections.  It is not just a pump thing.  I am sure that
your daughter will love pumping.  Mine sure does and I think she pretty much
forgets that she has diabetes most of the time.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8