Re: [IP] Re: Maude report

    Before I started pump therapy I really got into the facts about it.
Being a techno-geek I realized that electronic equipment could have a
catastrophic failure so I considered the possibility of accidental insulin
infusion for about five seconds.
    The fact that I spent 11 years on injections and developed some
neuropathy, a slightly enlarged heart, and had out of control blood sugars
for almost the whole 11 years brought me back to the fact that insulin pump
therapy is currently the best therapy available to me as an individual to
help me live a longer, complication free life.
    In August of this year I started on multiple daily injections. I was on
Humulin R and NPH for 11 years prior. On October 10, 2002 I went on the
pump. Early August my HbA1c was 8.1. Last week it was 6.2!
    You mentioned the need to rarely check your child's blood glucose level
in the middle of the night, and that you are concerned about having to do
that more on the pump. I don't know if children are different, but I only
had to check in the middle of the night during my basal rate adjustments. Of
course I still do it occasionally to record it, when I am ill, if I have
reason to believe it will go high or low, and sometimes on a middle of the
night bathroom trip.
    I would think it a small price to pay if I had to check it every night
to get the control and freedom I have now. You will never know that freedom
your child can have unless you TRY the pump. Nothing says you have to
continue using it. One could go back to MDI or any other type of therapy at
any time.
    The possibility of a device contributing to a person's death is a really
scary thought. It is completely natural, especially for parents, to consider
this question. Fear of the unknown can be paralyzing. Don't let yourself
become paralyzed by this single question. Weigh the pros and cons, read,
research, ask questions, ask more questions, and read some more. Then
    If I was the parent of a diabetic child I would have the child try pump
therapy ASAP! I would want to keep their blood as many hours as possible of
every day within normal glucose levels to help avoid the horrible
complications of diabetes.
    The Bottom Line. Is it possible even in the slightest that an insulin
pump could cause someone's death? Yes. However, based on the numbers of
pumps in use and reported deaths the probability of something so horrible
almost doesn't exist.
    Now on conventional therapy where a diabetic does not have control the
probability of a slow, painful, full of complications death is a
probability. Now I'm not saying everyone on the pump has better control than
MDI but most do.
    As I said at the beginning, I thought about the pump causing my death
for about five seconds. After beginning pump therapy and experiencing the
freedom and control I have now, I think about how much longer I can live now
with this better control. And how much of it will be complication free.
    Make an informed decision.

Cody S. Alderson