Re: [IP] Re: Maude report

On 12/10/02 10:43 PM, "email @ redacted" <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Regarding this site:
>> http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfMAUDE/search.cfm
> It bothers me that I read about 2 deaths in the past 14 months, that they
> believe are a result of the insulin pump.  After reading some of these
> reports, it scares me to think that so many times the pump has given a
> higher basal amount or in some cases dumped insulin into the person's body.
>   Has this happened to anyone on the list.  I'm not sure about allowing
> my 16 year old to go on a pump after reading these possiblities.  It also
> seems that with the pump, so many parents are getting up in the middle of
> the night to check their child's blood sugars.  I do not have to do that
> while she is on shots, except for the very rare occasion.  Anyone, please
> let me know your thoughts.  Thanks,  Lisa

Yes, it is awful reading about someone who dies and that they were on a
pump.  BUT do the reports say conclusively that the pump contributed in any
way to the death?  Or that diabetes was a contributing factor?   Do they say
that use/misuse of the pump is directly responsible?  And WHERE are the
reports for deaths that only involve injected insulin?   The Government
doesn't dictate a database of those, but it does occur more often than you
might imagine.

I pulled up 4 reports of death since 10/01/2001 and in two of them the pump
was not returned for inspection.  In another it was reported that the
patient expired from complications of Cystic Fibrosis.  In the fourth, the
pump was returned and passed inspections and it was determined that it did
not contribute to or was a factor in the patients death.

Pumping insulin does require a great deal of attention, but so does
injecting insulin.  Maybe injections are more forgiving, maybe because they
create a hell of a life.  I pay more attention to my diabetes now that I'm
on the pump, and the return for that is a life that is worth living.  For
me, I had gotten to the point on injections where I considered that life
wasn't worth it.  It is all worthwhile now!       :>)