Re: [IP] Pharmacists-insurance co. and strips

At 07:52 PM 12/8/02, Summer wrote:
>I often feel low about 1 hour after eating and bolusing - I then test
>myself and can tell by that number if I will be low after the Humalog has
>finished its work.  The number may be like 6.8(which is perfect) but it's
>to low for 1 hour after eating.  That is why I test often.  I also test
>before driving, before I go out with the kids(don't want to end up face
>down in a snowbank with a 2 year old running the streets)  and on and on -
>sometimes I do test every half hour if I feel like I need to.  But hey
>thats my thing, I remember like 5-6 years ago testing only 2x a day and
>hating that!  Now I'm averaging 10 a day!  Once once you start testing
>often and see how much better it can be, you totally rely on it.  I can't
>leave the house to walk to the store(10 mins. there and back) without my
>tester or I panic!!!

I also test often but it's because I have little or no sense of what my
blood sugar is by the way I feel.  I can be 46 and not know it.  Sometimes
symptoms can mimic the wrong thing... ie. thirst during a low and hunger
during a high.  If I went by how I felt, I know my bgs would not be in the
best range and my guesses could be way off.  I couldn't possibly survive on
only 4-6 tests per day.  And, IMO carb counting most of the time consists
of guessing, so how do you know if you've guessed right if you don't check
after a meal?  Minimum testing for me would be 7 times per day (before
breakfast, after breakfast, before lunch, after lunch, before dinner, after
dinner and at bedtime).  And since I do like to graze, there's a few more
tests floating around here and there each day too.  I also test before
driving.  So, for me, testing 8-10 times per day is not out of line.

dx'd 1963
pumping 2000