[IP] Re: vent

In a message dated 12/6/2002 7:31:05 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:      > From: "C. Jones" <email @ redacted>
> I don't test before I drive and I know that will freak some people out.  I
> do test before and after exercise; but that is mere positive reinforcement
> to see how much my BGs can drop after an hour or so of exercise.  Also,
> first thing in the morning.  And, I  try to test before meals. (Note the
> word try)
> My nurse practitioner was aghast that I would even consider testing more
> than 4 times a day.  On waking and before each meal was good enough
> according to her.  Now I'm seeing an internist.

I test 8-10 times a day and many times, I don't feel that is enough.  I
tested today, before driving and my bs was 49.  After a fefw minutes, I
finally started to feel the low.

If you don't test before or after meals, how do you know if you are getting
the right amount of insulin?  I am often very surprised when I test. I used
to think I could tell when my bs was high............NOT
the other night, I thought it was high (i was very thirsty) and checked
before giving any correction bolus... bs was 101.