[IP] Re: Air Bubbles

"I noticed a huge air bubble it was about 2 inches long so I primed it out
then noticed anoth one about 1inch long, that I must have pushed out with my
prime.  Now did I just miss these bubbles when I changed my set or is there
some way the bubbles can get in afterwards??
My sugars have been fine so I don't think I've bolused in any bubbles yet."

I've had this same problem occasionally.  It really helps if you keep your
current bottle of insulin at room temperature because when it warms up it
forms bubbles.  My CDE told me to take the bottle out of the refrigerator at
least 1/2 hour before filling the reservoir, but I don't think that's long
enough.  Usually I take out a new bottle several hours before I need it, but
forgot to the other day and only gave it 1/2 an hour to warm up before filling
my reservoir.  There were no bubbles when I primed, but I think they formed as
the insulin continued to warm up over the next several hours.  Unfortunately,
I didn't notice until after dinner when my BG was high.  I knew there had to
be a delivery problem, and when I checked the line, I noticed the tail end of
a section of air going into the site, so I apparently bolused air for dinner.
Also, I've noticed bubbles in the reservoir when I change my site on the 3rd
day.  Again, I think this has to do with the insulin warming up from body
heat, etc.

Shawna (dx'd 3/02, pumping since 8/02)