Re: [IP] RE: basals for my almost 13 yr old son

> During the last two doctor visits for my 13-year-old son, we've been
> told by the doctor that the boy is not to use over 80 units of
> insulin a day, that 80 units a day is some sort of insulin ceiling
> for kids who haven't entered puberty yet. What's that about? I've
> never read about it or heard about it.

Everyone's insulin needs are different. Lily and I went through this
with her endo. He was very concerned when her usage started to rise
to these higher levels but he worked with us and finally accepted
that growing kids use lots of insulin. Lily was only about 100-110
pounds at the time and was using 90u/day. Now, at age 19, she uses
about 30 - 40 depending on how much she eats -- quite a difference. I
would not think it unusual for your son to use substantially more
than Lily at the same metabolic and growth rates + almost twice the
body mass.

email @ redacted