[IP] question about retinopathy

First off, I want to apologize if this is a really dumb question, but this is
an understanding group, so here goes.  When a person is blind due to
retinopathy, do they just see black or are they able to see shadows etc.
Also, at this point, is there anything that can be done to reverse prolific
retinopathy?  I've been wondering about a friend of mine who went blind about
12 years ago in her early 20's.  Thanks
Mom to Nicole (3) dxd 10/2001
Kelly (8), Blake (5) and Luke (1.5)