Re: [IP] help!

>>>I am considering getting a pump but don't
know anything about them.  I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I
not follow a very consistant diet, with a full time job and two kids
it's hard to remember to take care of myself. Also I am a little scared of
having something attached to me at all times. Can anyone give me advice on
is a good pump? <snip> Erin:)>>>

Welcome to IP, and sorry we have to meet over a crummy disease, but you'll
find friends here because of it. ;) Check out
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/insulin_pump_models.php and
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/insulinpumps.php for pump
comparisons and info. You'll have different needs and features that you want
than many others so ultimately, the choice is yours. We are all mostly
partial to our particular pumps and there are about 7 of them currently or
soon-to-be available. Like cars, we choose what fits our own needs best. Ask
the companies at the above websites for promotional material so you can
compare at your leisure. <s>

Pumping allows you to not follow a consistent diet, so that is no big worry
that you may have. A non-DMer's pancreas secretes insulin to cover the carbs
they eat. You'll just push a few buttons to cover with insulin (bolus) the
carbs you eat. When you eat. If you eat. ;)  Pumping will require more work
and attention, however, the payoff is its own reward. You'll feel better and
know that you are accomplishing something great for yourself and the future
of your family. You should be around longer to watch your children grow up
and have kids. ;)

Pumping does require you do many more BG tests a day. You'll want to catch
any upward or downward trends. These can be easily adjusted after a pattern
of about 3 days by increasing or decreasing the basal delivery(ies). If for
any reason you don't feel like eating - at all - you don't have to since the
basal rate(s) keep(s) you going without food. The carbs injested are covered
by the bolus insulin you press a couple of buttons for when you eat. It's
*almost* like being *normal* - however - I don't like saying normal as
sometimes I think I more normal than they are. <VBG> We'll call them

As far as having something attached to you 24/7, don't fear, many people
wear pagers all the time since they are on call. Just pretend you are an
important doctor and must have the ability to be reached at any time.
Instead, you'll have life-requiring insulin going into you with a
pager-sized pump. To practice, get a 3/4" stack of business cards, tie them
together and leave 43" of string (the size of most tubings). Attach the
string to your belly with a piece of tape and see how you can place the
cards. Most pumps have a clip and some of us have come up with diff. ways of
transporting our very best friends. We even name them!! lol

Best wishes to you on your quest.

Dialyzing since 7/8/02

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a
bald head and a pot belly, and still think they are beautiful.