Re: [IP] Drug Companies

At 12:13 AM 12/31/01 -0500, you wrote:
 >In a message dated 12/30/01 9:00:52 PM, email @ redacted writes:
 ><< George >>
 >If it was not for e lilly we would not have humalog or novolog and none of
 >them care about you or me or anyone els they know that it make them BIG
 >and thats all it is for them because we can not go with out. If it was free
 >do you think they would have diffrent kinds??
Well, no.  If it were free why would they be in the business at all?

Businesses have to make money, that's how capitalism works.  And that's why
we've seen so many dotcoms going up in flames this past year.  They didn't
make any money and they spent a lot of it.

Eli Lily and Novo Nordisk have sunk huge amounts of capital into the
development of these insulins and insulin analogs.  They need to recoup the
cost somehow.  Since we benefit from the medicines it seems to me that we
should be the ones who pay for the research--at least in part.

I, for one, am thankful that any company cared enough about making progress
in diabetes care to work on coming out with a human insulin or insulin
analog. It's made a huge improvement in my life.

who used pork insulin for many years