[IP] Re: Insurance switch

<snip> Went to pick up my Humalog refill yesterday at the pharmacy only to be
served with a bottle of Novolog.
Has anyone else experienced their insurance company's attempting to switch
insulins?? I'm steamed!!

Thanks much,

Barbara -

It sounds like you need to have your doctor or endo explain the facts to the
Insurance company that Novalog and Humalog are not the same medication!

I have had my insurance company request that one of my meds be switched to a
cheaper variety and I didhave to switch from Lilly to Novo insulins because
they aren't as expensive.  Since Novo wasn't making any equivalents to
Humalog and Ultralente, I used Lilly's Humalog and U and Novo's NPH while I
was still on MDI.

However, as per other threads on this list and documented research, Novolog
and Humalog are similiar but they are (chemically) not the same product.
Others on this list have had better results with the Novolog and others have
found it does not provide any significant benefit.

As always, YMMV, but talk to your doctor and he/she may want you to try it
and see if you respond well to it.  In any event, it was rude of the
insurance company to not advise you of the switch in their pharmacutical list
and you need to complain to them.

Best of luck with your communications!

Katherine Nelson & MyHope (the pump)
dx T2 '86, T1 '96, MM 508 since 5/15/01