Re: [IP] Re: Diabetes auto-immune disease

Sharon <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I contracted viral hepatitis as a child (from an aunt)....that was in
> February of 1977.  Then in July of that same year I was diagnosed IDDM.
> were told by the docs that it was probably brought on by the previous
> illness.  No other Type 1's in my immediate or extended family, but plenty
> Type 2's.

The only virus to so far be statistically associated with type 1 onset is
coxsackievirus, typically ingested in food prepared in an unsanitary
manner - specifically an infected person not washing his/her hands after
having a bowel movement and then fixing your dinner.  Appetizing, isn't it?

Coxsackievirus is a picornavirus -- the same taxonomic group as poliovirus.

But a word of caution:  statistical association does *NOT* mean that a
causal relationship has been established.  Only that there is a non-random
relationship between the two.

Jim Handsfield