Re: [IP] Diabetes auto-immune disease

In a message dated 12/24/01 9:13:23 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< Now myself...I was kicked into it by puberty...but I also have a STRONG
family history of it, so I probably would have ended up with it sometime later
    anyway, I am sure others can give you a better understanding... >>

I remember from diabetes classes that there were 2 distinct things that had
to be present for Type I diabetes to occur:
1) genetic predisposition -- doesn't necessarily mean someone in your family
has it, just that your genes have the makeup in which diabetes can occur.
2) presence of a virus -- the virus invades the beta cells in the pancreas,
changing their appearance and triggering an attack by the immune system.
dxed 9/92, getting pumped 1/8/02!