Re: [IP] Diabetes auto-immune disease

In a message dated 12/24/01 8:48:19 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< Hi everyone,
  I have a question for you.  My daughter Ashley became diabetic when she was
5.  First she got a flu virus that attacked her betta cells.  I have read
many articles where experts say that Diabetes type 1 is an auto-immune
disease.  What I am wondering is if this happens every time with someone who
gets type 1.  Did everyone on this list who has type 1 diabetes first get a
flu like virus? >>

Yes, everyone with Type I had a virus that triggered the disease, but not
necessarily the flu. It can be any virus. Sometimes we have viruses that are
very mild and my not even notice it. There are many kinds of viruses.
dxed 9/92, getting pumped 1/8/02!