Re: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V5 #643 (diabetes types)

In a message dated 12/22/01 10:08:56 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  The incidence of Type 2 in children IS increasing.
 > There is a condition called maturity onset diabetes of youth (aka MODY)
 > which is inherited. There are mis-diagnosed Type 1's who are NOT skinny.
 > There are adults over 35- 40 who are type 1, but their symptoms and
 > progression of beta cell loss is slower than in children or younger adults.
 > There are type 1's whose family history includes type 2, and these people
 > may have a combination of both types.
 > Type 2 diabetes has more than 20 sub-sets.
 You assume that current age is what counts. But actually it is the age
 at diagnosis that is important. For example, I am a Type 1 and my age
 is 69. How do I know I am Type 1? Because I was diagnosed at age 10 in
 DKA. >>

What she's saying is that types of diabetes don't follow set patterns.
Children can get type 2 -- when they are children. Adults can get type 1 --
when they are adults. All type 1s are not skinny. All type 2s are not fat.
Etc. So you can't go on age and body size at diagnosis.

Jan and Elvis