Re: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V5 #643 (diabetes types)

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 18:50:58 EST  email @ redacted wrote:
> Just a point to make here:
> The incidence of Type 2 in children IS increasing.
> There is a condition called maturity onset diabetes of youth (aka MODY)
> which is inherited. There are mis-diagnosed Type 1's who are NOT skinny.
> There are adults over 35- 40 who are type 1, but their symptoms and
> progression of beta cell loss is slower than in children or younger adults.
> There are type 1's whose family history includes type 2, and these people
> may have a combination of both types.
> Type 2 diabetes has more than 20 sub-sets.

You assume that current age is what counts. But actually it is the age
at diagnosis that is important. For example, I am a Type 1 and my age
is 69. How do I know I am Type 1? Because I was diagnosed at age 10 in

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, pump 1995