[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V5 #643 (diabetes types)

In a message dated 12/22/01 6:05:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, Linda writes:
> Yet in some ways it comes across as more "acceptable" to have Type 1 -
> cuz that you couldn't have done anything about - while Type 2 is associated
> with being overweight. Yet I see so many peoples posts where they are
> skinny
> and type 2 or overweight and type 1 - and of course kids with type 2
> showing
> up these days. It just never ends does it?
Just a point to make here:
The incidence of Type 2 in children IS increasing.
There is a condition called maturity onset diabetes of youth (aka MODY) which
is inherited.
There are mis-diagnosed Type 1's who are NOT skinny.
There are adults over 35- 40 who are type 1, but their symptoms and
progression of beta cell loss is slower than in children or younger adults.
There are type 1's whose family history includes type 2, and these people may
have a combination of both types.
Type 2 diabetes has more than 20 sub-sets.

Diabetes isn't a easy disease to pigeon-hole or label.