[IP] Sugar Diabetes

At 03:42 AM 12/22/01 -0500, you wrote:
 >I heard my all-time favorite today.  Someone asked about my pump and I
 >proudly told them what it is and what it's for.  The lady looked at me and
 >said "Oh, you mean you have Sugar Diabetes."  What is that about?  Is there
 >another type of diabetes that I'm not aware of?

Actually, there is another type of diabetes.  Diabetes Insipidus is a
disorder of the hypothalamus or pituitary gland resulting in excessive
thirst and prodigious urination.

Mellitus translates as sweet, so calling Diabetes Mellitus sugar diabetes
is really not so far from wrong, no matter how irritating we may find it.