Re: [IP] Getting the word out (was: Thought I heard it all)

In a message dated 12/21/01 9:06:10 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< How about the reverse of this, "I know someone with diabetes, but they
have it real bad".  As though you only had the "mild case of diabetes".
Things are changing, but too
slowly.  "Be Loud, be Proud, be Bumpy!"   No need to "hide" the pump.  Tell
others about your life.  Pin them down and indoctrinate them. ACT UP!!!
That is what got
AIDs the attention and funding for research.  Live your life in the open, and
write, write, write that Congress-person.  Tell them your story.  Give a
face, a story and a life to

George      :>) >>

Excellent advice. However, I don't believe our acting up will ever be as
successful for the diabetes cause as has been for AIDS because our disease is
not an automatic death sentence. That seems to carry a lot of weight with
people. It does with me too, but I find it ironic that we do so much just to
stay ALIVE and people don't realize that. Most of my friends who have asked
what would happen if I didn't take insulin were shocked to hear me tell them
I'd die. Diabetes just isn't what I like to call a "fad" disease that gets
lots of attention. My sister-in-law has done AIDS walks numerous times and
never once walked for diabetes. I think it's wonderful she does this and I
have donated to her and others that have done the same. It's wonderful to do
things for all good causes, but I think my sister-in-law and others perceive
the AIDS victims as more in need. And it's somehow more politically correct
to do something for that cause.
Still, we should not stop trying. I like your attitude. Maybe our campaign
needs to focus on how difficult it is to LIVE with the disease, despite the
fact that we don't have to DIE from it.
dxed IDDM 9/92, getting pumped 1/8/02!!!!!