[IP] e-news 12/21/01 Neuropathy

Peripheral neuropathy afflicts 50 percent of people with diabetes.   Its
cousin, autonomic neuropathy, may not be as frequent but it's much more

There was a recent publication that discussed a new approach to both
neuropathies with the use of newer antiepileptic drugs (AEDs).  An
ever-increasing number of articles are occurring with reference to painful
peripheral neuropathy using these agents.  Clin Geriatr Med 1999 15:
293-320.  Information on autonomic neuropathy is scarce.

Two studies indicate that one of the AED's, topiramate (Topamax), had a
beneficial action in a case study of a person with diabetes and severe
peripheral neuropathy.  With some other medicine changes and the addition of
the Topamax she was able to lose 50 lbs. over 12 months and her HbA1c
dropped from 8.3% to 6.4%.  She needs no additional pain medications for her

Dr. Joe, the Diabetes Doctor

E-News is written by Dr. Joe Prendergast and his staff at Endocrine
Metabolic Medical Center.
As a side note from ME: I used Dilantin for years - which is used to
increase blood flow to the brain to prevent seizures. Since it didn't know,
it also went to my feet to increase blood flow. Since pumping for 18 years,
I am not on Dilantin any longer. Sounds to me the above announcement is
similar. (~_^)

A man had a dog named Minton. One day it ate two shuttlecocks. When the
owner found out he said "bad Minton!"