[IP] healing a pierced ear - tips?

I've had my ears pierced for more than 20 years.  A couple of years ago I
started having problems with just one of the piercings--I rarely was wearing
earrings except for dress-up, but when I did, my ear would bleed pretty badly
after I took out the earring and then it had a good-sized lump.  The next
time I would wear earrings, the lump would be gone but I had to kind of
*force* the earring through because the hole had closed up somewhat.

Well now I'm trying to heal the ear because I really do not want to lose the
option of wearing my earrings.  I'm wearing a *very* thin, pure gold hoop in
it--and it's not bleeding, but it is tender and still has the lump and just
doesn't seem to be healing.

Any ideas on what I can do to heal this and still wear earrings in the future?