Re: [IP] Re: Joni and holiday goodies

In a message dated 12/19/01 12:41:15 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Can someone please tell me how I am supposed to enjoy holiday goodies when
 I haven't the VAGUEST idea how much to bolus for them?? Usually what I want
 to eat - homemade cookies and such - doesn't come in a package, so I can't
 check carbs.  What am I to do?  I sometimes guess, but usually mess up and
 go terribly high later.  It's just easier to not eat anything.   >>

How did you cover them before you started pumping? I just cover with the same
number of units that I used on shots. Sometimes all you can do is guess the
best you can, check a couple of hours later, and correct. Diabetes control is
an art, not a science, and sometimes all we can do is the best we can.
Experimentation is how we learn. The tools that we have today (meters and
pumps) mean that, if we err in our "experiment," we have the means to correct
the error quickly. "Practice" a few times, and you'll soon be covering those
goodies just fine.

Jan and Elvis