[IP] Sof-sets that don't fully insert

To all of you who use sof-sets and the Sof-serter, I have a "newbie"
question.  The very first time I used the Sof-serter (with the Mini-med
rep helping me), the needle didn't insert fully.  The rep had me push it
in all the way (which hurt), and I was a little concerned about what it
would do to the cannula.  However, I was just on saline.  I did call
Mini-med and they sent me a new Sof-serter, but I didn't have any further
problems with the next four site changes (the RN told me to pinch up my
skin--even though I have the requisite inch or more of fat--and push the
Sof-serter hard against it).  It worked.  However, this morning, doing
just that, the needle went in only a little way.  So I took it out and
used a new infusion set.

Anyone else have this problem?  I don't like to waste the sets (and I do
have to pay 20% of their cost).  Plus it's kind of an irritation when
this happens.

Thanks for your help!