[IP] Re: note to new pumpers

>Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:19:12 -0500 >From: JOHN SABOL
<email @ redacted> >Subject: [IP] note to new pumpers > >hi
everyone, just thought i let some new pumpers of a problem that as a >new
pumper myself, wasn't prepared for. last wednesday, i was due for a >site
change. i changed sites and went to work. at work my bs started to >rise
and i found out that the during the injection, i bent the canula. the
>pump warned me by an error message "no delivery". i change sites again
and >unknowingly, pull it out while i was taping it secure. i was in
constant >contact with my pump trainer trying to lower my bs. i was very
nauseated >and vomiting every half hour until i got home an hour away. i
only found >out that i wasn't receiving insulin until i awakened in the
hospital. this >happened after i passed out on my front porch, and my
wife had to call the >paramedics and ambulance. >lesson learned, as soon
as my bs is high for no reason and a correction >bolus doesn't bring it
down, i'm changing sites. > >good note: i've only been pumping since
12/3, with only one day of high bs >due to a simple site injection. > >be
careful and have a good holiday > >john s  If my bgs are high for more
than three readings and they aren't coming down when I bolus, I always
give myself an injection of insulin.  I keep my old NovoPen handy just
for these emergencies, that way I don't get nauseated (I hate throwing
up), and I can wait until it's convenient for me to change my infusion
set.   --Kate (dxd 10/91, pumping 08/98)