[IP] Re: hyerthyroid and diabetes

I had radioactive iodine treatment for Graves disease about 7 or 8 years
ago. The thyroid seems to affect everything, so don't be surprised at a
variety of changes! My nails went from really strong to paper-thin in a
very short time, my hair changed texture, my insulin needs dropped, I
gained about 20 pounds and I got really depressed. I was really trusting
of my doctor at that time (hadn't learned to question everything and
demand that I'm not an average, I am a person!), so when he said that my
thyroid levels were in the acceptable range, I didn't fight for thyroid
replacement hormone, even though I knew I felt rotten. I finally did get
thyroid replacement and everything seems to be great--but now I encourage
everyone with thyroid trouble to not accept being told that they are in
the normal range. If you are feeling depressed, insist on more tests. The
right amount of thyroid and TSH make a big difference!