From: JOHN SABOL [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 12:19 PM
To: 'IP'
Subject: [IP] note to new pumpers

hi everyone,  just thought i let some new pumpers of a problem that as a

new pumper myself, wasn't prepared for.  last wednesday, i was due for a

site change.  i changed sites and went to work. at work my bs started to

rise and i found out that the during the injection, i bent the canula.
the
pump warned me by an error message "no delivery".  i change sites again
and
unknowingly, pull it out while i was taping it secure.  i was in
constant
contact with my pump trainer trying to lower my bs.  i was very
nauseated
and vomiting every half hour until i got home an hour away.  i only
found
out that i wasn't receiving insulin until i awakened in the hospital.
this
happened after i passed out on my front porch, and my wife had to call
the
paramedics and ambulance.
lesson learned, as soon as my bs is high for no reason and a correction
bolus doesn't bring it down, i'm changing sites.

good note: i've only been pumping since 12/3, with only one day of high
bs
due to a simple site injection.

be careful and have a good holiday

john s