From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 8:51 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Re: A1c test and vent

In a message dated 12/18/01 6:17:06 PM,
"JulieBritt"<email @ redacted>writes:

<< .There's just not the time or the energy to have a normal life and
do everything I have to do to get my A1c down to a 6.   >>

I don't know how your life and energy level is going in general, but
years ago when my doctor realized I was testing close to 8 times a day
than that now), she was concerned that I was putting too much time into
I had to explain to her that this level of input made such a significant

difference in how I felt that I actually wound up with more USABLE time.
it is a very hard regimen to keep up.  When it is going well, it is easy
skip tests, which with me pretty quickly will lead to not going well.
it's not going well, it's hard not to be just depressed about it,
getting it back in normal times is difficult enough -- when there is a
problem that has caused the lack of control, it can take a really long
(and then there are those seemingly endless problems like menopause
And, when my blood sugars are high for a while, I have to deal with a
clinical depression, also.  What I have to keep reminding myself (and
from the depths of menopause I get enough glimpses of it to keep the
fresh in my mind) is that I feel so much better when I keep my blood
in control.  Have you had the experience lately of keeping your readings

between, say, 80 and 160 in both before and after meal tests?  If you
can do
that for a few days, you also may find a positive reinforcement strong
to keep you motivated to work really hard at diabetes control.  I am not
to keep that up for long periods, but find the extra effort of doing it
sometimes helps general control. (And I have to go to some lengths,
-- since pumping, I have found fasting sometimes very useful when things
gotten really out of control.  Minimizes those variables.  And going
back to
some of that dreaded rigidity in life style until I get basals and bolus

ratios right again.)

But don't forget that YMMV with HA1c readings.  I had a 6.4 a while ago,
that is really high for me, and I felt terrible and am still having
neuropathy symptoms from the highs.  I seem to feel best when it is
around 5,
which I have been able to do most of the time I have been pumping
having too many hypo events, and none that I couldn't take care of
myself.  I
obviously don't glycosolate at the same rate as most people -- so it
likely that some people would glycosolate at a higher rate to balance
out my
lower rate <gr.>.  The test result is a tool to be used in controlling
diabetes, not a goal in itself.

Let's see, other motivators that have worked for me at times:  being a
model (particularly if the person watching me is feeling control is
impossible -- I don't want to reinforce that opinion); being pregnant
feeling responsible for doing something that required being really on
ball all the time.  But after nearly 47 years of this stuff, it
continues to
be a struggle.  We just have to encourage each other, I guess.

Linda Z