[IP] Lows on the pump

I am currently using saline with the Minimed 508 and I'm beginning humulog
on Friday.
Perhaps as some strange portent I had a severe Low BG (glucagon & all)
last night.  SO,
my question for experienced pumpers is....does the pump (assuming its used
really help reduce lows?  If you've had lows on the pump - what are the
common mistakes
to make that lead to them? (of course, I assume the obvious things go with
out saying like
bolusing with out eating, etc.).   My problem in the past has been that i
get severe lows
unexpectedly and very quickly, sometimes despite having eated a full meal
(I have hypoglycemic unawareness) - I use NPH  and I think its evil.