[IP] cholesterol tests

Does anybody know how accurate those cholesterol kits are that you buy in
the drug store... the ones where you prick your finger and test it at home??
  I'm thinking of getting one cause both my boyfriend and I have high
cholesterol and are working to get it down... but is it worth it?  I know it
wouldn't be as accurate as a doctor office blood test, but it would be nice
to have a ballpark figure that was pretty close to accurate, you know?