[IP] Re: Emla cream

<<From: email @ redacted
I would like to hear from anyone who is using the
cream about the pros and cons.>>

We've never used the Emla cream on our son Luke, 7, for
site changes (pumping since March this year).  We have used
it before when he had IV's (like when he had a CAT scan
last year) and it works fine - it's just that it takes
a dang hour to use.   Luke's only used the SofSet &
QuickSet infusion sets, both of which have automatic
inserters.  There's momentary pain but it's not any worse
for him than an injection, so he deals with it just fine.
With the number of emergency changes that we've had this
year as he finds new ways to pull out his sites, we
wouldn't be using the cream all the time anyway.  I can't
speak for Silhouettes although we may be giving those a
try soon for the tummy sites, since nothing else stays
in what we suspect are his lean abs (and based on input
from Barbara & Michael about their experiences with
Claire & Lily - thanks!).

I would say if you can get away without Emla to try it
but it depends on the sensitivity of the recipient.  I can't
blame a kid for being nervous around things that poke you
& if the Emla gives some calming to them, then it would be
worth it.

Good luck,
Shelly V, Austin, TX, mom to Luke 7, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01

Do You Yahoo!?
or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com