[IP] Pump Anniversary

Wow - can't believe it!  19 years ago today I started
pump therapy - I've been having so much fun the time
has just flown by!

The pump saved my life, allowed me to successfully
carry and deliver a baby (the joke in our house is
that the pump was a fertility device rather than a
insulin-delivery system, since I got pregnant within a
week of hooking up!), and have successfully limited
complications by the use of this handy little
machine.  Going from straight metal needles (and the
incredible tape-down required to keep it in place) to
teflon cannulas, single basal rate systems with whole-
unit-only delivery to devices that can be programmed
for up to 48 different rates on 2-3 different profiles
with delivery down to 0.05 units, from A1c levels of
over 14 to 6 or less - how far the technology has come
over time, and how grateful I am to have benefitted
from it!

I'm also extraordinarily thankful for this list and
everyone who is a part of this community.  When I
started down this path nearly two decades ago, there
were no support systems, no one to tell us how or
better ways to work this thing and get the most
mileage out of it, and nobody with whom to share the
joys and frustrations of pumping.  This is the perfect
time of year to be grateful for all the goodness and
hope in our lives; while the pump is not the cure, it
can truly take us a lot farther down the road of life,
with a much greater quality and standard of living
than what we might have experienced otherwise.

Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to share with
all of you who can understand far better than any non-
D person could ever hope to, how grateful I am for
this little lifesaver I wear around my waist, and for
this network of friends.  Thank you!
Kathy Fagan
Dx 10/68, Pumping 12/82