[IP] Re: Questions about 3 yr. old getting a pump

Hi Sybil,
     So many questions and concerns!  Claire is closer in age to your son, so
I can't answer all your questions.  However, I have an internet friend who
started her 2 year old daughter last year on the pump.  She isn't on IP, but
if you want to write me privately I could send you her e-mail address and you
could write to her about your concerns if you don't get all the help you need
     You know Claire loves girly dresses too.  But she is also an active
tomboy!  I sewed her summer dresses with special pockets and such, but now
she just prefers to stick the pump in her undies, clipping it on.  Today was
her school Christmas concert.  She stood up there on the stage singing and I
couldn't even notice the little bump  under her trousers where her pump was.
Actually she looks better with the pump, as her arms and tummy had developed
terrible lipohypertrophy from injections.  It pained me to see her arms last
year, they were swollen and red.  These areas are completely recovered now
and her tummy is as flat as anything.   And yes, she likes to walk around the
house with nothing on too, she just carries the pump in her hand.  I think
even at a very young age the kids just adapt to the pump so quickly.
     I know its hard with one D kid, but you are already managing two, so I
don't think the pump would make it harder.  I also know a Mum with two on
pumps, she is on the list and maybe you could write her, too.
     Three years of age is not so old to not be completely potty-trained for
any child, never mind one with diabetes.  But its true that the high sugars
will make this much harder for her.  Lots of much older D kids wear pull-ups
to bed.
     You are sounding exhausted!  Its a busy time of the year to make big
decisions, but I think you will do what is best for Madison and your family.

Best of luck,
Barbara, Mum of Claire 7