[IP] Re: Meters compared to labs

Hi Jan,
       Just to clarify this:  I used a large drop of blood taken from the
vein so that it would be enough to use on four strips inserted into four
separate meters.   I wanted to see if the different meters gave comparable
readings, rather than testing them against what the lab said.  Blood from a
vein gives a different reading than finger poke (capillary) blood, but you
can adjust for the difference.  Squeezing the finger to get more blood also
can change the bg reading, which is why I wanted the big, consistent drop
from the vein.  (In November 2000 Claire was doing lots of squeezing to get
the finger prick and the lab result and meter result were quite different.)
When we check our meter against the lab, we normally do a finger prick just
after the blood draw.

Barbara, Mum of Claire, 7