Re: [IP] Please read: steps to rid of your virus

At 04:05 PM 12/13/01 email @ redacted wrote:
 >I received this type of notice from someone not on IP months ago, naming
 >virus, but when you follow the directions, that is how the virus gets
 >activated!  this file is essential for computer, and should not be
 >deleted..... I had to use my recovery disc to reload that file, make sure
 >check with someone at your computer tech support before deleting this file!
 >aka Mouse

Deleting this file doesn't actually activate a software virus. However, in
a practical sense you become the virus by deleting a needed Windows file.
So this hoax gets you to do the dirty work for it.

Be very suspicious of any message that warns you of a virus that undetected
by normal virus software and has you delete files. And, be especially
suspicious if the message asks you to pass it around to as many people as
possible. Most of these are hoaxes.

Places to check are sites like: