Re: [IP] Basal rates for young boys (10-12 yrs)

> Taylor (11) has been pumping for almost 2 years now (3-6-00) and we
> are seeing a tremendous jump in his basal rates.  I realize
> everybody is different however, I am trying to get a consensus as to
> where other boys his age are at. He currently has 21 units for basal
> and about 35-40 units per day total.  His carb ratio is 1:20 at
> breakfast (although I think we need to change it to 1:15), and 1:30
> for the rest of the day.  His high bolus is 1 unit per 150 points.
> His endo (whom we love!!)  was surprised that the high ratio was so
> high as he thought it should be 1 unit per 50.

There are some general guidelines in the web site HOWTO's on how to
figure this stuff out. It's tough for kids as they can change very
rapidly with they grow. At one point Lily was using up to 90 u per
day of insulin with a ratio of 1:10  -- as I recall she was about
13yo and grew 3 inches that year. I remember distinctly sitting in a
hamburger joint and watching her chow down TWO one pound burgers and
a milk shake. Sheesh -- my wife and I could share one.

Michael