RE: [IP] Meters compared to labs

Jan [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> I suppose Jim Handsfield can answer this - or anyone in the
> *know*:  When I
> compare my meter to a lab test, I use finger prick blood that
> I get as soon
> as the tech loosens the tourniquet and I poke myself. Is it
> better to use
> venal blood or capillary blood for this comparison for a home
> BG tester?

My guess (and it is a guess!) is that the differences between venous and
capillary blood is too little to be detected by this method.  Capillary
blood will be a mixture of oxygenated and unoxygenated blood to begin with;
also a finger stick will have some interstitial fluid as well - but I don't
know how much that will affect the test strip or the meter.

FWIW, the clinical trials currently under way in France with the closed loop
implanted pump system use a glucose sensor that is inserted much the same
way a pacemaker is inserted.  The sensor itself is in the sinus venosus
(where the superior and inferior vena cavae join) where the blood flow is
most consistent, and where, apparently, the glucose measurement is most

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR