Re: [IP] Please read: steps to rid of your virus

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sarah Arnal" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2001 10:45 AM
Subject: [IP] Please read: steps to rid of your virus

> Hi everyone,
>  With all this talk about viruses I got a good scare this morning.  I
> don't know where I got it from IP or otherwise, I suppose that is
> irrelevant.  The main point is that once you have it it goes to everyone
> in your address book. Yes IP is in my address book. Therefore to err on
> the side of caution I would recommend everyone follow the steps below. I
> am not pointing any fingers because no one really know where this
> oringinated, its just one of those problems with modern technology.
> Merry Christmas,
> Sarah
>  The virus will show up on all of your computers
>  but apparently it
>  takes a while for it to be activated.  So I am now
>  emailing all of you
>  to tell you how you can check and delete it.  It is
>  very simple.
>  The virus is supposedly programmed to activate after being on your C
>  drive for a while.  Because of the delay in activation, it does not get
>  picked up by the anti virus programs such as McAfee and Norton.  No one
>  knows how long this virus has been on the system.  It is possible that
>  it had been around for several months.  When it does become active, it
>  will erase all files and folders on your hard drive.
>  The virus gets spread when you send out emails and filters into
>  C:\WINDOW\COMMAND.  In order to find this virus, follow the instructions
>  below:
>  Click on "start"
>  Choose "find"
>  Choose "files and folders"
>  Select "find"
>  Select "C drive"
>  Name of file to search for:  SULFNBK.EXE
>  If you find this file DO NOT OPEN IT!  Select by
>  right clicking on your
>  mouse and DELETE it.  Then close the window and
>  empty your RECYCLE BIN.
>  To empty RECYCLE BIN
>     1.  On the desktop Double click on the RECYCLE
>  BIN
>     2.  On the FILE menu, click Empty Recycle Bin
>  The good news is that YOU HAVE ELIMINATED THE VIRUS
>  The bad news is that you have transmitted this virus
>  to anyone you may
>  have sent emails to in the last month or so.  Thus
>  the reason for this
>  message.  I'm truly sorry!  Please contact everyone
>  in your address book and pass this message along.
> =====
Sarah and all others,

This is the biggest and one of the oldest virus hoaxes around. If you delete
SULFNBK.EXE you will have effectively disabled your computer. This is a
needed file and is used to keep track and use long file names in windows.
Check this out with www.symantec.com or any of the other sites run by the
virus protection companies.