[IP] Re: One touch ultra and varying readings

In a message dated 12/13/01 6:18:28 AM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> The cause of the variation she saw can be a combination of problems with
> the samples (what was measured), the measurement procedure (how it was
> measured), and the analyzer. Unfortunately, without access to accurate and
> precise lab equipment, carefully controlled samples, and an accredited
> procedure, it's not easy to "apportion the blame."

This is a very important observation.  I once sent meters back as I felt they
were too inaccurate when tested against our original meter--about a 25-30%
variation.   I trusted the original which had been measured against a lab
test and was very accurate on several occasions. We were leaving the country
and I wanted a back-up which I trusted.  On our return to Canada two years
later, I found the postal system had returned the meters to my old address
(the company didn't accept the mail, or something) and they had been sitting
there all that time.  So the next time that Claire had blood taken from a
vein I had the person give me a large dropof blood and I tested all four
meters at the same time from this large drop.  And guess what?  All meters
gave an almost exact reading.  You do get variation from finger pricks and
extra squeezing, etc.
     Though I then trusted the accuracy of the above meters (Glucometer
Elite) we switched to the Ultra One Touch last spring when Claire started
pumping.  Tested against the lab the one we have is also extremely accurate.
However, that is not to say that you can't get a faulty meter or bad strips.
     If you like a meter, but are unsure of its reliability, wait till you
can test it against a lab, then you can feel more comfortable with your

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7