RE: [IP] Meter accuracy standards

Julian Doncaster [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> On a related subject, are home bg meter accuracy standards
> different in
> different countries?

Since the US is the biggest market, those standards probably drive the world
market - but that's a guess on my part.
> Does anyone know better?

> I read an article in "Clinical Chemistry" yesterday
> suggesting that accuracy
> standards should be +/-5% for patients to be happy:

Note the very careful wording in the article -- *SHOULD* be.  This article
was (and is) an opinion piece (a good one, BTW) saying that the industry
should work to improve the accuracy and precision of home test meters.
There's no evidence at this point that it's happening.  Manufacturers
probably could develop such a meter, but it would also significantly
increase the cost.  It's doubtful that insurance companies would go along
unless it could be demonstrated that it translates to better A1c levels,
which correlate with lowered risk of complications.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR