[IP] Humalog, Novolog, Lantus by prescription only

In a message dated 12/11/01 7:29:21 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Michael" <

I sort of understand why it is prescription but I'll never understand why we
have to pay double.  It has gone up every year.  I'm afraid that I'll
eventually have to get regular insulin.  Is there no way to get fair prices
on meds so we can live a little longer.  : - )  Ellie
covered by the Federal law that requires insulin and syringes for the
treatment of diabetes to be available over the counter on request.
Humalog, Novolog and Lantus are what is know as "insulin analogs",
that is they are very similar to true insulin. The difference in each
case is just one or two amino acids in the insulin B-chain of each
molecule. Those differences are what give each of these three insulin
analogs their unique characteristics. These insulin are made in the
same fashion as other so-called "human" insulins and in all other
respects, the body pretty much treats them like human insulin.