RE: [IP] One Touch Ultra and varying consecutive readings - comme nts?

Julian Doncaster [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> What is the specification range on your meter instructions?
> Mine implies that there is a tolerance of about +/- 30% on
> the readings a
> meter might give (it says it is OK if you get a reading of
> between 198 and
> 342 on one of the calibtration solutions), but my
> understanding is that an
> individual meter would be far more consistent than this -
> more like +/- 5%.

Plus/minus 30% is a little large - normally it's estimated to be around +/-
20%.  In any case, these are estimates.  The accuracy/precision criterion
for home meters, as all waived* lab tests, is to be within 5% of a standard
50% of the time.  The other criterion is that the instruction have to be
understood and followed without assistance by someone with a 7th grade

> Did you repeat the test with a different meter?

Comparing with other meters is generally not helpful.  For example,
150+20%=180, and 150-20%=120, a range of 60, and both tests would be
considered valid.
*I've discussed waived tests before.  Rather than take up bandwidth, I'll
discuss privately if anyone wishes.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR