RE: [IP] magnetic/nikken products and minimed 508?

Leann Marcucci [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> hi all,
>  i really could use the help of this list. i am wondering if
> any of you
> use magnetic therapy/ nikken products and a minimed 508. i
> called minimed
> and they told me something about the magnets must be below
> 600- 800 gau
> (sp?).

Magnetic fields that we normally encounter in day to day life are well below
600 gauss.  The field strength is inversely proportional to the square of
the distance from the magnet times the internal strength of the magnetic
force*.  But, IIRC, the magnets used in magnet therapy are pretty weak.  I
wouldn't put one next to my pump, though.

But taking this a little further, click on
http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEducation/QA/magnet.html for an
excellent research based evaluation of magnet therapy, including at least on
adjudication against a company that promotes magnet therapy.

*IOW, the gauss level of the magnet itself divided by the square of the
distance from the magnet.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR