Re: [IP] Appendix removal

In a message dated 12/9/01 8:46:17 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I am just wondering how others who have had their appendix removed while
 the pump got around the ignorant surgeons.  Friday evening I had a surgeon
 refuse to let me place my infusion set in another area so I could remain
 hooked to my pump while they removed my appendix.  <snip>  I found out later
 that when the surgeon had told my dad that they had taken out the infusion
 set, my dad asked why and the sugeon said, "I've done a dozen pancreas
 transplants.  I know what I'm doing."  Well, anyway, the entire day they had
 me on this sliding scale I didn't go below 250.  They finally let me hook
 back up to my pump at about 2pmm on Saturday and I've been between 80 and
 115 since then.  Sorry this is a little long, but I would just like some
 hints on what I could do next time I have surgery.  Thanks for listening to
 my vent.
 --Kate >>

The "snippy" way to do it would be to ask the surgeon (in your most sarcastic
tone of voice), "Do you remove the pancreas of people who do not have
diabetes before you perform surgery?" Although I don't think I would try that
method while I was on the operating table. <g>

The other way would be to affect changes in the hospital's policy. One way
you can help do that is to write the hospital administrator and detail what
happened and why it should not have happened. Send a copy to the medical
director. At the same time, talk to the doc who prescribed your pump and ask
him/her to write standing orders that your pump is to be left the he** alone!
Carry a letter with you from him/her saying the same thing. Ask your pump doc
to work to initiate a policy for the hospital.

In a recent issue of Diabetes Care, there is a letter or an article that says
insulin is the number 1 most mis-prescribed drug in the United States.
Probably one of the reasons is that idiotic sliding scale, which doesn't work
because everybody has a different sensitivity to insulin. You might want to
do a search for that article/letter/research report and send it along with
the letter to the hospital administrator and medical director.

Jan and Elvis