[IP] alcohol and diabetes

In regard to alcohol and diabetes, I was told that alcohol disables the
liver's ability to prduce glucagon--which is a diabetic's safety net in the
case of untreated low blood sugar, and the cause of rebound highs after low
blood sugar.  So, if one consumes alcohol, then goes low and doesn't
recognize it and the liver doesn't react appropriately by producing
glucagon--this could spell Trouble with a capital "T."

I'm concerned about my teenage son who has diabetes.  I know he drinks beer
on occasion.  I just try to remind him to ALWAYS test frequently and be aware
of what the blood sugar is doing and not to drink so excessively as to not be
aware of his surroundings or condition.

Betsy Smith