[IP] Another young pumper carrying the olympic torch

13-year-old copes with juvenile diabetes
Seventh-grader wants to work with diabetic kids

HREF="mailto:email @ redacted">email @ redacted</A>
Nancy Sapp was two days short of turning 7 when she was told the diagnosis b
juvenile diabetes. bI was sure I was going to die,b said Sapp, now 13.
I would spend the rest of my life taking shots and pricking my finger all the
time. I was just so scared.b
FORT LAUDERDALE CARRIER: Heather Harris, left, sits with her two sons, Hank,
1, center, and James Patrick, 7, at their North Fort Myers home. She will
carry the Olympic torch along 4th Street in Fort Lauderdale on Saturday. TODD
STUBING/news-press.com Click on image to enlarge.

It was a frightening time for a little girl. She had symptoms b always
thirsty and hungry, difficult to wake up. Her blood sugar was 1,000. A normal
count is 80. bShe was angry,b said Jean Sapp, Nancybs mother. bShe was
in first grade.b Her parents were scared. bItbs hard to talk about now
without crying,b Jean Sapp said. bI was so afraid she was going to die.b
Nancy is a seventh-grader at Michigan Montessori Middle School. Her constant
companion is an insulin pump that seeps medicine into her system. Shebs had
more than 7,000 shots and pricked her finger to test her blood sugar more
than 13,000 times since the diagnosis. At 3:31 p.m. Saturday, she will carry
the Olympic torch. bIbm going to be all nervous,b she said. After
juvenile diabetes, Nancy should handle the nerves with ease. Shebs enrolled
in a pre-International Baccalaureate program. Her goal is to become a
pediatric endocrinologist and work with diabetic children. She knows how
difficult and confusing the disease can be. Nancy remembers a conversation
she had recently with a younger child. The kid thought Nancy was dying. Nancy
insisted shebs fine. bYou have die-abetes,b the kid told Nancy,
the first syllable. Nancy is doing so well her mother was inspired to
nominate her to carry the torch. Nancy has an A-plus average in gifted
classes. She studies, ballet, tap and jazz and also teaches dance. Shebs a
Girl Scout and reigning Miss Lehigh Acres Junior Spring Festival and does
public speaking about juvenile diabetes. Diabetes has changed Nancy. bI
I would truly be a different person,b Nancy said. bI donbt think I would
as understanding of people in their problems if I hadnbt been diagnosed.
have a different perspective of life. Life would mean something different. I
treasure what I have and am thankful I donbt have cancer or AIDS.b