Re: [IP] Fw: Minimed & Quicksets

In a message dated 12/4/2001 5:45:43 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> 1. Who is using the Minimed Quicksets?
My daughter Kateie (age 10) has been using Quick Sets for 6 months

>  2. What kind of glue/IV Prep are you finding most useful?
We use IV prep to clean the site

>  3. How much discomfort are you/your children experiencing on insertion?
We use the inserter. Katie says she hardly feels the insertion, but that it
hurts a bit when she pulls out the insertion needle.  After that, she doesn't
feel any discomfort (from sites in her abs and once in her arm).

>  4. How long are the sites lasting?
They routinely last 3 days for us.  On a few occasions, we've gone 4 days
without an problems with her numbers.  Every once in a while, a cannula seems
to kink upon insertion -- when that happens (you can tell because her numbers
go up but don't skyrocket since some insulin is getting in), we change her

>  5. Are you using any special tape etc. to keep the influsion set in place?
We use Mastisol (a liquid adhesive).  After the IV prep dries, we make a
small open circle of Mastisol with a q-tip and broaden it out in to a
"target" shape that's about as big as the tape the comes on the Quick Sets.
Then we fan the Mastisol until it gets tacky (doesn't take long), and do the
insertion (with the needle going in the middle of the open center of the
Mastisol "target"). {Our thanks to Josh's mom, Sylvia, for revealing the
secret of Mastisol to us -- it works like a charm!)

Hope this helps . . .

Pumpmama to Katie (10) Happily pumping with her Animas pump "Elvis" since